Thursday, January 28, 2010

He's Here!....Labor Story

As you've all probably heard Oliver Grey as made his debut! Sorry it's taking me a little while to get pics up and writing back to some of you. I have been wiped out. Who would have thought something that slept so much would take every second of your day? Good thing he's so cute. He's worth it.

I'll try and hurry to tell you the labor story before he wakes again..... :)

So everything started Saturday night really. Ben and I were preparing our talks for church, the next day in sacrament meeting. We were finishing everything up around 9 p.m. and I was saying how active he was in belly. Seriously, he was so so crazy in there I knew he was trying to get out but didn't think anything of it since I hadn't been having any contractions. Then we went to bed and at 2 a.m. Sunday morning I woke up in bed and felt a little funny. So, I got up went to the restroom in the dark and saw there was A LOT of blood in my pants. Now what? I took a deep breath and turned on the light. Tried to get cleaned up for a second and called labor and delivery. About 10 minutes after I woke up I started feeling contractions in my back only. They were coming every 2 minutes right away. They didn't feel too strong but I could tell they were slowly increasing. Labor and delivery said we needed to come in right away because of the amount of blood so at 3:00 a.m. off we went.

As soon as we got in the car I called my mom and told her I think it's time. (Worried she wouldn't make it) She reassured me she would be there. She called Southwest and got booked on the next flight to arrive at 11:00 a.m. And left her house 15 min. after I had told her. She's amazing.

So we get to triage and they hook me up to everything. Ask me about pain and I say it's about a level 1. I was joking and laughing but my back was a little achy. They checked and I was only 1 cm dilated and 80% effaced but my contractions were so regular they made us walk the hospital for 2 hours and come back and get checked. We started walking and after 20 minutes I couldn't walk or talk through contractions and they were really starting to get uncomfortable. Again only in my back though. After 2 hours we go back in and I'm still only a 1. Great. So they send us home at 8 and told us it could be days before he comes and he probably wouldn't come until Tuesday. The car ride back was uncomfortable but I was glad to get home to try and relieve some of the pressure. Laying on my back and sitting down felt like I was carrying a 300 lb weight on me. Right when we get home I get in a really hot bath. That's when I started to lose it. My sister in law Ashley called me and was trying to make me feel better (thanks by the way Ash) while I was sitting in there. I was crying and telling her the pain was so much already and I was only a 1. She told me some other things I could try and I tried some of those after my bath but they just weren't working. By this time Ben needed to go pick up my mom and I told him I would just stay home and try and take a nap. Off he went. My nap never happened but I was able to relax a little.

They arrived back home at 1 p.m. I was feeling a little better and my mom was rubbing my back during contractions while I was on my hands and knees. While she was doing that, Ben was enjoying his Colts game. Lol. He kept trying to show me replays but I wasn't having it. Ben gave me some toast to eat to give me some energy. Then things changed really quickly. At 4 p.m. the contractions were still coming 2 minutes apart but I couldn't get through it without crying. My mom said it was time to go. So off we went again.

The car ride was even worse. We got up to triage and they started asking me all the same questions but they could tell something had changed. One of the questions was is the baby moving? And I said, "I don't even know I haven't been paying attention we're not on good speaking terms right now." Everyone just laughed. So then it was time to get checked. I was only at 1 1/2 cm and 90% effaced. Are you kidding me!? I told them I wasn't going to make it. Luckily they realized how bad my contractions were and she said we'll get you some pain medication and have you take a nap and see what happens from there. But before I could do that they had to take all these blood tests and they brought someone in to try and take my mind off of the contractions so I could sit still long enough for them.

So they wheeled me in a quiet room and gave me 2 doses of morphine and thought those would do the trick. It was the strongest thing they could give me. Well that was a no go. I started to get delirious. For those of you who don't know back labor is the worst you could have. Ben kept saying it's okay it's okay and I finally said it's not okay. I'm really not going to make it. I started telling my mom I need a c-section I can't do this. It was only 8:00 p.m. So the nurses changed their plan asap.

Sorry but baby needs to eat.....I'll come back.


Joneel said...

Oh My Gosh, so far I am feeling so bad for you. The pain factor. Eeeek. But, you have me on pins and needles, wanting to hear the rest of the story. PS. he sure is a cutie.

Ashley said...

AHHHHHaaaa!!! What a cliff hanger... come back, come back!

p.s. sorry to make you cry, and be of no help....

Carissa & Jonathan Kougias said...

Oh my goodness... I feel so bad for you. At least he's worth it. I guess it wasn't quite like going to the dentist then. =(